Thursday, April 17, 2008

Potty Stickers!

Well I thought Constance was completely potty trained but lately we have taken a step back. I have heard this can be normal though. I was not for bribing my children with anything to get them to do things, but with the potty training we have had to take a different approach. I got her some fun stickers at the store with the Disney princesses on them. she loves the princesses! So anyways if she tells me she needs to go potty and doesnt have an accident she gets a sticker. It seems to be working. Already today she has gone twice and told me both times. She came up to me and said "Mommy, I need a potty sticker!" lol. I may use this when its time to potty train Ivy, we will just have to see how fast she takes to it. It took Constance a really long time. I started her at 18 months and she just wasnt ready. I started her for the wrong reasons and I see that now. I had people telling me I needed to get her started. I should have listened to her needs rather than what every one else thought I should do with her. That was an important lesson in parenting that I learned alot from. Dont push, when they are ready they will let you know.

I have started getting the girls into doing more painting and drawing. Creative stuff that will keep them busy on the days we are at home all day. I did a search online the other night and found a bunch of cute projects for thier age group so I wrote them all down and we will be doing a project a week I think. This week we just started with painting. The love it. Yesterday I bought some art supplies and they had a plaster alphabet kit on clearance that I got for them. Last night Constance and I mixed the plaster and poured it to let it sit over night. Today we attempted to paint them. They just wanted to paint on thier paper with their new paint sponges I got them! lol. So mommy painted some of the letters while the sponge painted. I think I will use some of thier paintings for scrapbook pages. That way they have thier art in their scrapbooks with pictures of them doing it. Next week we are going to be making caterpillars out of egg cartons. I thought it was a really cute idea. I will post pictures and instructions as well after we do them. That way all you moms of little ones can make some too!!!

2 comments:

Amy said...

What a good idea with the projects. First thing this morning Jack was busy coloring in his high chair. He loves anything crafty.

As far as the PTing you are right. I think you are really lucky Constance did so well in the first place if you were pushing her to PT. They say that is the worst thing you can do, and it can backfire bad. She seems like she did fine though, and now you feel better informed for Ivy. Sometimes I think about PTing Jack, but he is not ready at all. They say some of the signs are when they wake up at night dry, from naps dry, when they ask to be changed, and when they get really picky about being dirty like face, hands, or clothes. The only thing he does is tell me when he needs a change so we've got a ways to go. I've also read that boys usually train later than girls, at around 3.

Good idea with the stickers. I think most mothers offer something when their kids are learning.

The Cox Family said...

caterpillars out of egg cartons -- too cool -- can't wait to see it