Thursday, August 20, 2009

Gestational Diabetes

Yesterday afternoon I got a call from my doctor saying that I have gestational diabetes. I was a little shocked, and kind of upset about it all day yesterday. I am better about it today. I had a nutrition class and then a class on how to use my meter today. I learned ALOT. I thought I wasnt going to get to eat any sugar for the rest of my pregnancy, turns out though its not about the sugar. I just have to monitor my carb intake really carefully from now on. Its going to take a bit of getting used to writing down everything I eat and counting all the carbs, but its worth having a healthy baby.

I did learn today that my levels the day I had my glucose test were horrible. It was 222, and they like to see it under 135. So I was a bit off! lol Not good, but now I know how to try to control that. I am starting with my new diet today, and testing today. If my levels still stay abnormal they may put me on medication, but we will just take this one step at a time. We will just pray that everything turns out good, and hope the baby comes out healthy and not too big!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The key is monitoring and watching those pesky little carbs. I know you need this like another hole in your head! Just hope once Miss Paige makes her appearance it goes away and you are okay. Lots, LOTS of family history on both sides with diabetes. I will put you in my prayers... Don't make mommy worry!

Unknown said...

Big babies do hurt!!!! I won't lie!!!
Sounds like you have a pretty good understanding on what you need to be doing. Thinking about you!!!!

The Cox Family said...

I had gestational with Zane (and probably with Tristan they think although I passed the test with him and big babies run in my family --- I was 11lbs!). I have prediabetes now (a good possibility after gestational) You'll be monitored annually after Paige is born too.
The great thing is that diabetes is something we can monitor and change our habits. Walking is GREAT! It will bring your numbers down tremendously.
Please let me know if there is any thing I can help with -- having been there and dealing with the prediabetes now.