Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Laundry Soap Recipe

Here is the recipe that I had emailed to me. I am going to get the stuff this weekend to try it! Im kind of excited about it and it will save us so much money! If you guys try it I hope it works out for you too!


1 bar of Fels Naptha grated. I buy this at Woods in the Tide isle.
1 cup of Arm and Hammer super washing soda
5 gallons hot tap water

Put grated soap in to a medium sauce pan filled ¾ up with tap water. Let this simmer, DO NOT BOIL, till the shreds are all dissolved. You will need to stir this every little bit.
Put the 1 cup of super washing soda into the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket, fill up the bucket to about ¾ full with hot tap water. I do this in the bathtub. By the time the bucket is about full, the soap will be dissolved. Pour the dissolved soap water into the bucket and stir really good. Put the bucket in the pantry and let it sit over night. It will congel. The next morning go into the bucket with both hands and just stir the dickens out of it till it is a liquid jel. (It will set up like jello overnight, so you will need to really work it to get it in to liquid form.) Use about 1 cup per load.

It costs about 1.50 to make 5 gallons of this stuff. You can get a lot of good tightwadding ideas off the internet from sites like
tightwad.com and budget101.com. Just type in cheapskate, tightwad, stuff like that on google and it will pull up some good ones. I also like the couponing sites, like valupage, coupon surfer, smartsource, ect.

1 comments:

The Cox Family said...

Cool -- let me know how you like the detergent. I also can't wait to hear more of your money saving ideas!